5.30.2013

Ms. Kitty's Perro





My mother, Ms. Kitty, brought this perro home from Oaxaca, Mexico about 20 years ago.  There is something about this clay pup that draws people in.  When my niece was little she used to carry him around like a baby and tell him stories.  At one point I took him to my studio for inspiration.  Before long, I returned him to my mom's house because he was such a distraction to visitors.  Many were more interested in the dog than anything else.  They wanted to know his story and to have their picture taken with him.  I even had one person repeatedly come back to the studio just to visit the dog.  (I know, it could be that the dog is just more fascinating than my work, but never underestimate the charm of this canine.  I've seen him steal the scene no matter the context.)

My Mom is gone now but the pup still lives at her house.  My sisters and I put him on a shelf for safe keeping because there are lots of visitors to her house.  This past weekend a friend of my mom's asked me about the dog- he had remembered that magnificent perro.  It got me thinking that I would bring him down from the shelf and to my house for a visit.  So here he is.  A photo can't capture his unique dogness, but it will have to do until you can see him for yourself.




1 comment: